Thursday, June 13, 2013

Blackened Fish Tacos


These tacos have quickly become one of the regulars in my monthly meal plan. They are quick, light and flavorful...perfect for summer when no one wants to turn on the oven!

I put all different types of toppings on depending on what I have in my fridge at the moment, but some of my favorites are a light cabbage slaw, corn, roasted onions and peppers, salsa and lime of course :). Serve with brown rice and beans and you have yourself a fab meal.
(This is a cooking light recipe)

All you do is make your spice mix, coat the fish, cook in a skillet and you are ready to eat!

While the fish cooks I assemble my toppings and heat my tortillas. I break the fish up into pieces to put into the tacos and then set everything on the table for a "build your own taco night." Yum!
Blackened Fish Tacos

3 large Tilapia or Salmon fillets
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper ( leave out if you don’t want it spicy)

Combine all the spices 
Heat 1 T oil or butter in a large skillet over med/high heat. Coat both sides of the fish with the spice mix and cook on each side about 5 min each or until fish flakes easily

Serves 4

3 comments:

the e-wife, Karen said...

This sounds like a delicious summer dinner. Will be making very soon! Thanks Michelle!

Mom said...

Sorry that we missed that meal, looks yummy! Thanks for posting the recipe so I can make it too:)

Mom, again:) said...

PS: Toppings we also like: chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado, red onion & tomatoes. And of course served in a corn tortilla, never flour. Dad has to have Cholula Sauce to spice it up, which I also add a few drops in with the light mayo/lime slaw mix (nonfat plain yogurt can also be used in place of the mayo).