Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014

It's 3am and the house is quiet- my big boys are out in the living room on the air bed having a special slumber party for the new year and I'm snuggling a sweet baby back to sleep...these are precious days filled with memories I don't want to forget.
Tonight we tried to tell the boys about what the new year is and why it's special and why we make goals and resolutions: here is what we came up with for 2014
Gabriel- "play hide and seek"
Weston- "play soccer and read my Bible every day"
For mom and dad we want to be more consistent at sitting at our Saviors feet, sharing with the lost the love of Christ and exercising together :)

Andrew shared tonight for us Psalm 90:12 "teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom"

Our days are short and what we do with them matters! Looking over the past year it seems to have flown. Have I used every day to honor Christ as best I can? No, but I pray to do better this year. I love a fresh start and I love the beginning of a new year- I read on a blog that the best resolutions are to keep the old ones and return to the one thing that truly matters and that is Jesus Christ!
I'm still learning what that looks like in the every day tasks of motherhood and caring for my home and family. We have piles of clothes and presents to unpack and crunchy pine needles and cookie crumbs to clean up...I can get overwhelmed with all the to do's! But I'm learning that it's in these exact moments and duties that we can honor The Lord with a good attitude, a thankful heart and use as opportunities to teach my boys instead of just "getting it done". Because before I know it the kids will be grown and gone and I don't want to just have gotten a bunch of things done- I want it to matter. The things still have to get done but I'm learning that all the difference is in how you do it and Who you are doing it for.
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Omiesusie said...

I agree in resolution with you to begin this year in the name of Jesus! When we pray we usually end it with, "in Jesus Name" so let's also begin it in His Name. When we begin & end each day acknowledging our Savior all the stuff that happens in the middle will be more Kingdom purposed & directed making each day the Lords day! Time is too short to waste it.

Days Ordained said...

"Because before I know it the kids will be grown and gone and I don't want to just have gotten a bunch of things done- I want it to matter."-- I couldn't agree more with what you said. Psalm 90 is a fav of mine. How easy it is to waste our days, and the culmination of wasted days is a wasted life. Life is fleeting, it's just a vapor, and like you I desire for my life to matter for God's Kingdom.

Happy New Year to you and your family!