Thursday, November 3, 2011

Crock Pot Refried Beans

I love restaurant refried beans but cringe at the thought of what they put in them to make them taste so good :) I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and have made it a few times, a few different ways. Yummy and easy and it has no added fat!

1 onion peeled and halved
3 cups dried pinto beans
2 T minced garlic
5 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cumin
9 cups water

Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook on high for 8 hours. Puree to desired consistency and adjust spices to taste. ( the recipe included some spicy peppers as well, but I left those out to be kid friendly)

Before serving I sprinkled a mexican blend cheese on top and heated in the oven. Tasted just like the restaurant!

This makes a ton of beans so I have some in the freezer as well for later.

3 comments:

Carly Jean Brannon said...

yum! we'll have to try!

the e-wife, Karen said...

I've been making something similar for years and they are great. Mine don't call for onion but chopped raw bacon :-) I use a stick blender to mix them. These are great for a taco bar and so cheap!

Days Ordained said...

I'm going to try these for Jon... I agree with you about the regular variety! Thanks for posting!