Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Fog and the Fireworks

Just as the sun started to set over a perfectly warm yet breezy day along the Santa Barbara coast a thick fog began to roll in. At first it looked a little gray over the horizon but within an hour nothing was visible a few yards above ground. Normally I LOVE this eery cool blanketing mist- but it was last night the Fourth of July! Not the best conditions for viewing the much anticipated show. But we packed everyone one up anyways and made the trek to the best viewing spot in high hopes with the rest of the city. And you can guess- as the sound of booms filled the sky we could only see a pale burst of color and maybe a few sparkling remains that fell to the ground leaving the full glory of each one masked above us. Thankfully we didn't really care because being together is what matters most and the kids were enormously happy with their glow sticks Omie had brought them.

Our little experience made me think about this verse however and the topic of our eternity which Andrew is preparing to teach on for our students:
1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully, just as I also have been fully known."

Often I feel frustrated that I don't understand all that I want to about our God or feel ashamed that my affections for Him fall so short but this is such a sweet reminder that one day the fog of this life will be lifted and we will see Him face to face in all His glory and wonder and nothing makes me more excited!
Happy 4th!

2 comments:

Schmom said...

What godly insight on our foggy 4th! You are not only a gifted writer but your writing is Holy Spirit inspired. Love it! And love you & our rare family time together :)

Schmom-again:) said...

I just noticed that the top picture captured in the distance the beginning of the fog that rolled in. It was so clear & sunny then, who knew that in only a few short hours we would be socked in!