Monday, July 6, 2009

One day at a time

It feels good to be home with some normalcy again. We laid in bed last night reminiscing about feeling my belly move, our favorite activity before falling asleep. I won't hide the fact that there were many tears yesterday as leaving our little guy miles away is the most unnatural feeling. But we are so grateful for how well our little guy is doing and that we even have a little guy to cry about :)

My sister made a comment that has really helped me. She mentioned that if I had gone to my due date, we wouldn't even have Weston yet, so this is like a treat to have him here early with us, even though he isn't home yet.

Today was another encouraging day in the NICU. Babies around us are going home, so that makes us hopeful. I was able to bottle feed Weston again and he is up to three times a day at the bottle. He is still at 20 cc milk but will get more tonight since he is so hungry all the time. We talked with the therapist for a while this morning and she really helped us understand alot about our little preemie. She also talked about the next step in his feeding, introducing breast feeding. She mentioned that I could try and do it tomorrow in the am, but at 11am today I needed to pump and the nurse on duty said , " Why don't you try to breastfeed him now?" I was thrilled! Weston did great for the first time and actually got some milk out with a good suck! The nurse was very encouraging and said that with practice he will be a really good eater very soon! He tired very quickly and finished the rest of his meal by tube and I couldn't stop smiling! Tomorrow we will try again at 11am, this time with the therapist who will really be able to evaluate his progress and help us both out at this very new experience!

Each night Andrew and I read a portion of scripture and last night we started 2 Corinthians. The passage was so fitting and the Lord is so gracious to us.

2 Corinthians 1 :3-4 " Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our afflictions so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
How wonderful to have a God that cares and loves us so much to put these words in scripture for us to draw strength and peace from. We have a God that understands and hurts when we do. The most exciting thing to me is that every time my little boy cries, He is there with him even though Andrew and I can't always be.

No comments: