Saturday, October 6, 2012

Cheap Home Updates


I LOVE being a stay at home mom and thank the Lord that I am able to be with my kids all day long, clean, attempt to organize and plan to have dinner on the table ( most nights, ha!) I know there are many women out there who have to work but would rather be home. It truly is a gift to be able to stay home and the most fulfilling job I have ever had. Sometimes people ask me if I get bored being home all day...ummm never! I fall into bed exhausted each night with a mile left on my to-do list, but I am so content. If you love being a wife and/or mom, you know what I am talking about. The work is never done and you are never "off the clock" if you are serving your family- whatever your family looks like.

 I also love looking for cheap ways to keep our house cozy and fun without spending any money, or very little. Since I don't bring in any money from the outside world :), I try to make the dollars stretch that my hard workin' man makes for us.

Recently I refinished some old frames that we had and an entry table ( that used to be Andrew's desk ) and am happy with the results despite my lack of experience. I'm not patient with projects, and am limited to nap time to get things finished, so my ways are definitely short cuts to these types of projects!

When we moved into our sweet rental home I was introduced to the beautiful and fun paint samples pictured above. You can get any good quality paint you want in a sample size from Home Depot (or your fav spot) for a few dollars and there is more than enough paint to complete a few large projects.
For these projects I used leftover paint we had from our move.

For the entry table I decided to make it two-toned- light gray on top and a vintage blue on the bottom. The original was a cherry finish that clashed with too many other different stained woods in the room.

To prep the table I did a very light sand on the top of the table, and that's it! I wanted the top to have a solid finish so I did two good coats of the gray. For the bottom/legs I just did one coat of the blue with a coarse brush allowing the brush strokes to show revealing the brown beneath a little to give it a less-than-perfect look. So easy.

Here we are drying


All done and back in the house in a couple hours!

I have had these big frames just sitting in the garage for years now and thought I should either get rid of them or give them a fresh look. I have decided lately not to get rid of any frames, because painting them is so easy to make them custom for any room.
For these I had a very pale gray/almost white sample that I love. It's a great color to brighten something up.

I also had two large prints- one from our engagement collecting dust and one family shot that needed homes, as well as an empty hallway. Now everyone is happy. I did these as the table was drying. I used the same "method" with the coarse brush and using only one coat to allow the brown beneath to show a little for a little shabby chic feel. 

For fall and winter, I have been wanting to warm up our dining space with some darker panels. I found a great deal on a fabric....shhhh ( shower curtain!) don't tell! I liked the print and the fabric is nice & heavy duty( not like a normal shower curtain) and would have cost me a bundle at the fabric store. So I cut the shower curtain in half, hemmed the unfinished side and hung it on my Ikea rod replacing the cream panels I had. Ikea has great prices on rods, panels and curtains if you are in the market! This took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish because I only had to hem one side of each panel vs. all the sides if I had made them from "scratch".

Bad night pic, but here it is


3 comments:

Days Ordained said...

I love it! Great job!

Anonymous said...

another way to make ur money stretch and get some really cool and unique stuff is going to garage sales. I used to poo poo the idea, but I cannot believe the stuff I get for literaly pennies on the dollar. good luck

The Martinez Family said...

Nice job! Impressed you can get so much done in nap time. And so great to hear you're satisfied by your important job of looking after your 3 boys and home!