Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Homecoming Anniversary

We have decided to celebrate July 13th around here for one special reason- it was the day that we were able to bring Weston home for the first time! For anyone who has had a child in NICU knows what a trying and emotional time it is. No matter if it is for one day or one year, you will remember it forever. The NICU is a special place where so much happens everyday and seeing many little ones fighting for their life is just breathtaking. We were so lucky to probably have the healthiest baby in the NICU at the time, but every moment counted that he was there! The pic above is of the last bed that Weston was in- an "open crib". When you see a NICU baby in one of these, it most likely means that their time there is drawing to a close. But sometimes babies go back and forth between this and an incubator for weeks. The open crib is a test to see if the baby can be ok on his or her own with out oxygen support, heat, IV etc.
I think for a mom especially, having your baby in NICU is particularly hard. Being separated from your newborn and having him/her taken care of by someone else goes against every God-given instinct He blessed us with- no matter the reason and rationale behind it. Each day that Weston was not with us, I had to remind myself that he was being taken care of in the best way possible, that he needed to be there, that even though I am his mom I can't take care of him in every way he needs right now and that's ok, that the doctors and nurses are NOT cruel people withholding my baby from me for the fun of it, and that he was not going to suffocate in the plastic box they put him in :) I know some of those thoughts sound crazy ( hormones had a part I'm sure!) but they were real and something I had to give to God everyday. It has been a year since then, but it feels like yesterday and I will NEVER forget the joy of driving home with our bundle who was now all to ourselves!

No comments: