Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Our New Feathered Friend

We are home from our adventures, but wanted to introduce our new family member before I post the trip pics...Here she is! Henny B the chicken!

I have always wanted a chicken, not sure why, but the idea of fresh eggs from my backyard is kind of romantic. I also like pets that don't require cuddling and fussing over. To date my favorite pet was a goldfish, weird I know :) Andrew and I aren't really animal people and don't love snuggling and cuddling with furry things but I do enjoy caring for animals as long as I don't have to touch them too much.

Over a month ago, this chicken showed up in my friend's backyard and decided to call it home, without the permission of my friends. They couldn't find anyone who seemed to know where she came from and they didn't want to keep her so I offered to help with their little problem.
Well, she wasn't the easiest bird to catch, it took almost a week as she proved to be very fast and smart! But before I knew it I was driving home with a chicken in my back seat :) A quick trip to the feed store and the Habitat for Humanity Restore, we had a home built for our hen. 
If you haven't ever checked out a Habitat store, you should! They have great bargains if you are in to DIY projects. I purchased 4 large pieces of wood and a hand saw for $7!

It took Henny a few weeks to get comfortable enough to lay eggs, but now she gives us an egg every 24 hours. Such a good girl.
Now I want more chickens and Pinterest has so many cute coop designs...now to convince the hubby!




2 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay Henny B!! So glad you have a wonderful home and are laying some good eggs!

Ayemi said...

How funny! I was wondering what would happen to Jenny's Henny. =) Enjoy the fresh eggs! The kids will learn so much from this experience!