Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Breakfast Smoothies and Scones

I just love when strawberries come back into season! I bought a big container of them and have enjoyed their summery sweetness! On Saturday morning I decided to make strawberry smoothies which I haven't done in ages. These are yummy for breakfast and not too sweet.
( Andrew needed some sugar added to his though)

1 dozen strawberries chopped
about 6 -12 ice cubes
1 container (single serving) vanilla yogurt

Add the above ingredients into blender

pour nonfat milk on top until it fills halfway. Cover and blend until smooth. Add sugar if needed. enjoy~

On Saturday I also made a big batch of scones for my mom and sis that were coming into town. The girls in my family are BIG scone fans- to go along with our coffee of course!

I just love this recipe and it is so versatile - you can add pretty much any ingredient to suit your craving! This time I made Lemon Blueberry and Maple Oat Walnut. I also like to add a little whole wheat flour for some fiber.

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat or white whole wheat ( for a lighter flavor)
1/2 T. baking powder
pinch salt

combine the above ingredients with a whisk

next cut in with pastry blender or fork 6 T. Butter until mixture resembles small peas
stir in 1/3 cup granulated sugar
make a well in the center of the mixture
pour in 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 beaten egg and 1 tsp. vanilla extract

( here is where you can add whatever you would like! for the Lemon Blueberry I added 3 T. lemon juice and 1 tsp. zest and the blueberries. For the Maple Oat Walnut I added 1 1/2 tsp. maple extract, 1/3 cup oats and 1/3 cup walnut pieces)

Mix until just combined
shape into 4 rounds for large scones or 6 rounds for medium scones

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven and baking sheet. I use a stone which takes longer but keeps the moisture! Scones should look firm with slightly soft center but NOT browning. They will firm up more as they cool. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Ayemi said...

These look delish, great recipe! Hey we were organizing Midori's recipes this Saturday and lots of them were from this blog! (she had printed them out) Made me SOOOO hungry just looking at them and filing them away!!! Much love Michelle!!!