Saturday, June 27, 2009

All Tied Up

My First Tie!
The Handsome Model
If any of you know Andrew very well, you know that he LOVES ties! ( as much as I love shoes!) A few months after finding out that we were expecting our little guy, Andrew began to scheme of ways that I could potentially make a little extra cash from home. Being the entrepreneur that he is, he thought that we should make ties for men, but especially for little boys! During our weekend getaway to Carmel, CA for our 2nd anniversary we stopped in at the Robert Talbot outlet store ( Andrew's fav tie maker) and we discovered that in the back were bolts and bolts of silk very reduced! We both looked at eachother and knew it was a sign! ( not really but that sounded good) So we purchased a few yards to play with.
Well, it has taken me a few months to build up the nerve to try one out, but we chose today as the day to get over my fear of failure and give it a go! Despite some minor mistakes (the tie is a little short and it took me four hours to do) we actually produced a tie!! It was kinda fun and Andrew said he would actually wear it out in public :) So the next step will be to try and create a children's tie, making my own pattern, and to try the adult tie again making it longer and hand sewing the final back seam for a more flexible tie.
Now I don't know if this little project will eventually turn a profit for our family, but Andrew wants us to try it! We are thinking of calling our business "Weston's Ties- for men and boys" or something like that! Oh Boy!


2 comments:

LittleNanni said...

Oh the tie looks SOoooooo good!!! I'm so proud of you. Great fabric, color, and a very handsome model if I do say so myself.

Waiting with my cell phone at my side for a phone call, but hoping he's born after Tuesday evening, when I arrive in California.

Love, Nanni

The Martinez Family said...

Oh, cute! You could do matching daddy and son sets!